Just now watching the AVPM re-watch and I totally ship Brian Holden and Meredith (ps this is what fangirling does to you. you see relationships where there totally are none. Two people so much as look at each other and you’re thinking
Issues feminism aims to address:
- pay gap
- intersectionality within the movement
- rape culture
- preconceived notions of what femininity is and isn’t
- women’s health issues
What MRAs want feminism to address:
- why they can’t hit women
"A patriarchy is where men control 100% of positions of power. A matriarchy is where men control anything less than that."
- MRA logic
You didn't really respond to a lot of the concerns brought up in the yourfaveisproblematic post. Why won't you apologize for the "nerd women" comment or the racist (Hanko de Mayo, Islam related) stuff mentioned on there? I agree that mistakes are fine, but you as an influential person should try harder to publicly address mistakes when you make them. And if you don't think these things are problematic, you should learn more about racism, sexism (and other things) and examine your own privilege.
I did respond to a lot of the concerns. I didn’t respond to all of them because I didn’t want to appear overly defensive, but okay:
1. I am sorry for the jokes I made in that video where I said nerd women were an underutilized romantic resource. I thought it would be clear from the purple prose that I was kidding in the video, but I also said a bunch of other stupid things in it, and I would not say them now, and if I owned the video (which I don’t) I would take it down. I regret it, and I’m sorry.
2. I have addressed the H*** d* M*** issue endlessly and never to anyone’s satisfaction. We’ve stopped using the term, even though many in the Mexican American nerdfighter community have asked asked us to keep using it.
3. Most of my college career was devoted to studying Islamic thought and practice. I created an introduction to early Islamic history and theology that thousands of Muslims around the world have recommended. I have reviewed and sang the praises of hundreds of good books written by Muslims and/or about the Islamic world. I have read the Quran and collections of hadiths. To my knowledge, no one has ever accused me of being Islamophobic. If they have, I don’t know why.
3a. As for the word kafir, you cannot attribute something a character in my novels says to me. Hassan and Colin have a very specific relationship with the word kafir that does not make sense out of context.
4. I talk about my privilege as a cisgendered white guy living in the US a lot, and I try my best to be conscious of that privilege.
5. In addition to never having sexually assaulted a fan, I have never (at least that I can recall) “stroked” a fan. (I don’t really know what stroking is in this context?) I don’t really touch strangers, to be honest, because of my anxiety disorder.
6. Every single time I have ever told the story of the horrid way I first asked Sarah out, I have added that it was horrid. That’s the whole point of the story.
7. This can go on and on and on and on and on and on, so I’ll stop now. Also, please don’t send mean or threatening messages or whatever to the person who runs that tumblr. That’s not nice. kthxbai.
GUYS THIS IS A PROBLEM i'm really scared like what if i don't find a person who talks about me like matt talks about karen?? the struggle is actually real
well matt only talks about karen like that when she’s not around so maybe you have a matt and you just don’t know it yet <3